Saturday, January 12, 2008

#4 The Heroines

#4
The Heroines
Eileen Favorite
2008
231
Fiction
3 out of 5
Library


The whole time I was reading this book I kept thinking that I was missing something. There is something here that I'm not seeing. Well, there was, but it wasn’t what I was expecting, which is what kept me reading even though it was a little too late.13 year old Penny Entwhistle is growing up in a Illinois prairie bed and breakfast with her mother Anne-Marie and housekeeper Gretta This isn’t your usually retreat, this is the place that literary heroines such as Emma Bovary, Scarlett O’Hara and Catherine Earnshaw go to regroup when their lives are in distress. They come to Anne-Marie who strengthens them and encourages them back to their lives without interfering with the eventual plots of each story. Anne-Marie is very strict in her belief that the heroines are not to be told the truth about the outcome of their fates in the book. But then one night a hero appears and thus changes the whole routine. What will have to be sacrificed to make the dangerous man return to his world? What truths will have to be told about the past?What started out as an interesting plot turned me off when it branched into a sudden trek into Girl, Interrupted. That part which takes up a good portion of the book, just was lost on me. If Favorite had just stuck with the sudden arrivals of the Heroines and their stories it would have been, in my opinion, a much better book.




Amazon Review:


http://www.amazon.com/Heroines-Novel-Eileen-Favorite/dp/1416548106/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1200497576&sr=1-1

No comments: