Saturday, October 25, 2014

Hug Machine

Title: Hug Machine
Author and Illustrator: Scott Campbell
Published: August 26th 2014 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 40
Genre: Children's
Ages: Level 4 - 8 | Grade Level: P - 2

“Oh, No Mr. Bill” (the clay figure clown from SNL) that is exactly what the little boy in the Hug Machine looked like. His big eyes and long arms. I found myself distracted by this little guy, wanting to know if his love for hugging was going get him into trouble. No, this effusive child just loves to hug. It does not matter who or what, he is always there to give a person (or object) the hug that is needed.

The work is exhausting and pizza is needed as fuel, but at the end of the day, what the hug machine needs most is a hug himself from a very special person.

I loved the idea behind this book, that hugs make the world go round, but I do not know if I would encourage this activity. I may be over thinking, since I am not a hugger. The illustrations were muted and a little on the drab side.

I am not sure whom this book would work best for – the un-hugging child to show that from time to time it is ok, or the hugger to show that everyone does it and not just them. Either way, this book will appeal to some and others might just put it away and never think about it again.

No comments: