Monday, December 2, 2013

Review - Doctor Sleep


Title: Doctor Sleep
Author: Stephen King
Publisher: Scribner (September 24, 2013)
Format: Kindle 4216 KB; Hardcover Pgs 544
Genre: Thriller
Source: Purchase
Series: The Shinning #2

Reading the disclaimer, “This book is a work of fiction. Any references to historical events, real people, or real places are used fictitiously” – well I certainly hope so. It is bad enough that I will be looking at every person in an RV through a cautious sideways glance, but I am relived to know that the True Knot is only some jacked-up craziness in Stephen King’s mind. Really – this is an awesome book.

I was a bit apprehensive when I had not read The Shinning and had relied on my previous viewing of the movie. Mr. King states quite emphatically that Doctor Sleep is a sequel to the book and not the movie.

Ok, so diving in is what I did. At first, I was a bit confused with the chapters and parts, but that soon calmed down and the flow was right where it should have been. The book grabs you from the beginning and I swear it if was not for the fact that I am a big baby, I would have read well into the night.

The numerous reviews out there have already picked about the plotlines and I will leave it to them. Except for a couple of the True Knot devotee’s that seem to come and go as needed, every character has an integral part of the story. Personally, I hate it when authors just throw characters around in the first chapter and the reader is stuck trying to sort everyone out. You will also be walking through the AA meetings that made up a big part of Stephen King’s life, but that is okay. It is what both the author and the main character needed to do to get to the good stuff.

This book is intense, there is humor in unexpected places and I just wanted to lean back and absorb the story that was being told. Not in a “steam” sort of way, but in a “can my phone just stop ringing for five minutes” so I can get through this part.

Grab this book and a quiet room and just be mesmerized by what Dan Torrance has been up to.

No comments: