Friday, November 29, 2013

Review - The Best American Mystery Stories 2013

Title: The Best American Mystery Stories 2013
Author: Lisa Scottoline, Otto Penzler (Editors)
Publisher: Mariner Books (October 8, 2013)
Format: Paperback; Pgs 448
Genre: Mystery Short Stories
Source: Amazon Vine

This is my first foray into a book specifically of short stories. I have wandered across a few here and there but never gave them much thought. What I found in these pages really surprised me. For the most part, they are well thought out and plotted without the usual tangents that some authors tend to wander into while trying to run up word counts so they can call it a novel.

The stories run about 15 to 20 pages, which makes it a perfect lunchtime read. Each day I would grab my lunch and book and would find myself absorb, start to finish, in a plotline that by the end had me filling in a couple of my own blanks – wondering aloud, did the author mean this or that. Did my presumed antagonist really do that? I loved the fact that not all questions were answered. That the authors drew nice black and white lines and it was up to the readers to filling in their own colors.

No comments: