Monday, December 23, 2013

Review - Dead Reckoning

Title: Dead Reckoning
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publisher: Ace Hardcover (May 3, 2011)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 336
Genre: Paranormal
Series: Sookie Stackhouse #11

Maybe it is because there are only a couple more books in the series, but as I am closing in on the end, I find myself enjoying the books more and more.

Beginning with the firebombing of Merlotte’s to the bloody end of a high-ranking vampire, Sookie is once again in way over her head. The fey are still around causing trouble, Sandra Pelt has a score to settle, Sookie has ended her blood bond, Bubba is performing one last concert and Eric is betrothed to another. There was a lot packed into this book.

One week could never have gone so wrong for Sookie, but if she makes it through, she still has Tara’s baby shower to host.

I can understand how others say that the series has lost its spark and is a bit formulaic, but I had given up on new and stimulating a long time ago. Now, I read the Sookie Stackhouse series solely for the humor. Charlaine Harris is a very comical writer. The wit and offhanded remarks are at times inappropriately funny and yet you find yourself chuckling while a head is literally rolling across the floor.

Since I still have a couple of books to go, I have no idea what Sookie will be up to next, but I do hope that Ms Harris will keep me laughing to the end.

No comments: