Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review - Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two


Title: Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes for Two
Authors: Beth Hensperger
Publisher: Harvard Common Press (December 15, 2006)
Format: Softcover
Genre: Cookbook
Source: Library

For me, one of the greatest parts of a cookbook are the pictures, I tend to read with my eyes and stomach before I look at the ingredients and the techniques so I am psyched up to try something new. This book was a big letdown. Other than the cover, there are no pictures. Not even a center section where you can go back and search out the recipes when the picture entices you.

Darn, I was hoping for so much more.

I did come across a couple recipes that sound good, but now the dilemma lies in cooking times. What I need are recipes that I can quickly throw together in the morning before work and eleven hours later when I return, the food is ready. Many of these recipes have cook times of two to three hours. That sounds more along the lines of something that you would put together after school and before you rush out to sports practice. Short cook times are not practical for me.

The cookbook covers the usual soups and stews with a couple breakout dishes. Most recipes call for usual pantry and freezer fare, so in that regard, there is no stress in the slow cooker recipes mentioned in this book. The quantities are small since this is a cookbook designed for two, so make sure that you have a 1 ½ - 3 quart slow cooker.

Long story short, if you are looking for small quantities with short cook times, then check out this book. If not, do as I do and keep looking. There has to be something out that that solves all of my slow cooker issues.

No comments: