Friday, May 25, 2012

Review - The Knitting Diaries - The Twenty-First Wish

Title: The Knitting Diaries - The Twenty-First Wish
Authors: Debbie Macomber
Publisher: Mira (March 29, 2011)
Format: Paperback
Genre: Romance
Source: Library
Series: Blossom Street #6.5

I am not a big fan of half books or in-between books or whatever it is that authors are calling them nowadays. Those annoying books that either follow up where the last one left off or a taste of what is to come next in the series. I just do not understand them. Why not include the information, if it is at all necessary, in the book where it belongs and not tempt the reader to buy yet another book that turns into a waste of money.

I read the Twenty Wishes and I read and I read Summer on Blossom Street and I really do not know how this book, enhances either story. I was not a fan of Twenty Wishes in the fist place and only liked Summer on Blossom Street slightly better. Being a series reader, I cannot help myself to finish what I had started in hopes that I will find the book that made me glad that I did not give up too soon.

Knitting Diaries is actually three short stories; bringing together three separate authors, Debbie Macomber, Susan Mallery and Christina Skye. Since I am unfamiliar with the other two authors, I only read Macomber’s contribution so I can say that I have kept the series together. I know, a lame excuse, but if I did not I might have missed that gem.

If only it were that easy.

The Twenty First Wish brings us back to Anne Marie, a widow and Ellen her recently adopted daughter; Anne Marie has purchased a home and as she and Ellen are planning their move, Mel (Anne Marie’s new boyfriend) and Tim (Ellen’s biological father) start doing that he-man dance and Anne Marie has very little patience for such tomfoolery.

For a short story that is only 123 pages long, this review is going longer than I thought and if you know Macomber's writing, you can guess where this storyline goes and who has their Twenty-First Wish granted. You will have to read Twenty Wishes to understand the importance of the original list. Suffice it to say that it is a bucket list of sorts. A list that will help bring closure to some and open new worlds for others.

No comments: