Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Waiting on Wednesday - The Diva Digs Up The Dirt


Hosted by Breaking the Spine



Title: The Diva Digs Up The Dirt
Author: Krista Davis
Publisher: Berkley (June 5, 2012)
Format: Paperback
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: A Domestic Diva Mystery #6

Overview:

Determined not to be a garden-variety diva, Sophie Winston’s neighbor Natasha cultivates a plan to shine on television -- using Sophie’s backyard. As the cast and crew of the make-over show Tear it Up with Troy bulldoze through her backyard -- and vacation -- Sophie retreats to her perennial boyfriend Wolf’s to replace a dead rosebush. But her tender deed goes awry when she digs up a purse belonging to Wolf’s missing wife.

As speculations sprout, Wolf bolts, and then a body crops up in a garden. Is Wolf’s thorny past raising an ugly head? This is one case the domestic diva can’t let wilt on the vine.


Chapter 1

“I’d like to hire you to find my daughter.”

The woman’s request caught me by surprise. I’d been deadheading geraniums in pots by my front door in the early morning and held flower snippers in my hand.

Pouffy dark hair framed her face. It wanted to curl, but had been firmly set into a helmet by a hairdresser. Her clothes were equally impeccable. Full-figured from top to bottom, she made no effort to hide her shape under black garments. Her skirt and matching short-sleeved top bore a festive purple, pink and yellow print. I guessed her to be in her mid-sixties, but she oozed energy.

My hound mix, Daisy, sniffed the woman’s dainty purple and yellow shoes with kitten heels. Not the best footwear for Old Town’s uneven brick sidewalks. Daisy’s tail wagged with restraint.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “You must have the wrong person.”

“Aren’t you Sophia Winston?”

Close enough. “Sophie, actually. But I’m not an investigator.”

No comments: