Tuesday, May 15, 2012

First Chapter - First Paragraph - Mockingbird


Title: Mockingbird
Author: Kathryn Erskine
Publisher: Philomel (April 15, 2010)
Format: Hardcover
Genre: YA
Source: Library





Hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea




Chapter 1

It looks like a one-winged bird crouching in the corner of our living room. Hurt. Trying to fly evey time the heat pump turns on with a click and a groan and blows cold air onto the sheet and lifts it up and it flutters for just a moment and then falls down again. Still. Dead.

Dad covered it with the gray sheet so I can’t see it, but I know it’s there. And I can still draw it. I take my charcoal pencil and copy what I see. A grayish square-ish thing that’s almost as tall as me. With only one wing.


School Library Journal

From inside Caitlin’s head, readers see the very personal aftermath of a middle school shooting that took the life of the older brother she adored. Caitlin is a bright fifth grader and a gifted artist. She also has Asperger’s syndrome, and her brother, Devon, was the one who helped her interpret the world. Now she has only her father, a widower who is grieving anew and whose ability to relate to his daughter is limited. A compassionate school counselor works with her, trying to teach her the social skills that are so difficult for her. Through her own efforts and her therapy sessions, she begins to come to terms with her loss and makes her first, tentative steps toward friendship. Caitlin’s thought processes, including her own brand of logic, are made remarkably clear. The longer readers spend in the child’s world, the more understandable her entirely literal and dispassionate interpretations are.

3 comments:

Nise' said...

I enjoyed this book, hope you are as well.

DCMetroreader said...

The intro is kind of creepy, but I really like the publisher's blurb! I think this will be a great read!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Yes, I think I would continue, I'm awfully curious --thanks for joining in today.