Sunday, April 25, 2010

Speed Reading for Dummies


SPEED READING FOR DUMMIES

Richad Stuz with Peter Weverka


Finally a book that was designed with me in mind. I must confess that I have to be the worlds slowest reader. Back in the day when I was taught how to read, my teacher explained that you must look at each word, sound it out in your head, and then say it quietly to yourself. Well, to this day, I swear I still do that. I have absolutely no idea how to skip unimportant words. I find myself having to say each and every and, is, but, etc. It is so frustrating when I see others just whiz through a book with total comprehension, pick out the subtle nuances, compare characters to other books that they have read that week all the while I am saying, "wait, I'm still on chapter two"

So, hopefully, when I get this book finished, after learning the fundamentals of speed reading and mastering the ten quick techniques to improve speed, I just might be up to chapter 3 by the time everyone else is finished.

Here's to wishful thinking.

No comments: