Sunday, April 11, 2010

Looking Forward To This One


Brooklyn
Colm Toibin

Though I've never been brave enough to take on this author. The story does sound interesting. I just need time to sink into a comfy chair and take a couple of minutes for myself.

It is Enniscorthy in the southeast of Ireland in the early 1950s. Eilis Lacey is one among many of her generation who cannot find work at home. Thus when a job is offered in America, it is clear to everyone that she must go. Leaving her family and country, Eilis heads for unfamiliar Brooklyn, and to a crowded boarding house where the landlady's intense scrutiny and the small jealousies of her fellow residents only deepen her isolation.

Thanks Simon and Schuster

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I liked Brooklyn a lot; enjoy

Unknown said...

And on the other I didn't care all that much for it. The main character Ellis was too weak for me. She spent all her time trying to do what she thought other people wanted her to do. Weak characters translate into a weak story for me. I think I gave it a 3 of 5.

stepfordmomto2@yahoo.com said...

Now this is a dilemma. Two divergent opinions form well read readers that have steered me to great books in the past. Decisions, Decisions.