Friday, April 23, 2010

Death By Cashmere


Death by Cashmere

Sally Goldenbaum

4 out of 5

The first 50 pages or so of this book just did not grab me. The sentence structure was a bit off and the knit shop by the seas with dear friends and a cat was a bit dry and redundant; but the fearless reader that I am decided to see it through to the end and I'm glad that I did.

Izzy Chambers has left her burgeoning career as an attorney and has decided to open up a knit shop in the sunny seaside town of Sea Harbor, Massachusetts. As her friends gather for the weekly meeting of food and stitching, the discussion quickly turns to the renter of the apartment above the shop. Angie Archer has returned to town to take on a specialty project but before her research can come to light she is found dead. With a couple of odd occurrences and a couple of people with secrets, it is up to Izzy and her band of knitters to work out what happened and to bring Sea Harbor back to the peaceful sleepy village that it is.

Though this is definitely a knitters book, with a scarf pattern at the end, I had wished that Ms. Goldenbaum had included a couple of the recipes that were mentioned during Ben's Friday Night Martini Drop In and the Thursday Night Stitch and Eat. Not to mention a couple of Frittata recipes.

I look forward to the next couple of books in this series. The early problems that Ms Goldenbaum encountered at the beginning of the book ironed themselves out and the characters soon began to take on their own life and rhythm. I look forward to meeting up with them again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you liked one. I don't think this author was even on my radar, but she is now!