Wednesday, May 14, 2014

When to Speak Up and When to Shut Up

Title: When to Speak Up and When to Shut Up
Author: Dr. Michael Sedler
Publisher: January 1st 2003 by Chosen Books
Format: Paperback, Pgs 160
Genre: Spiritual Self Help


I respected and appreciated what the message of this book was and I loved the parables of supposed real world situations, but I found myself bogged down from the scripture.

That being said, I have learned a great deal from this book, considering that I am by nature a “speak now and take no prisoners” type of person; I have had to learn how to rein myself in now that I am the parent of two adult children. I have had to learn that at this stage of my life, parenting is walking a tightrope. You are on a very fine edge of saying too much and not saying enough.

As I have taken my time with the book, it is surprising how many times I have just read a section and then I am confronted by a situation that was just discussed. Timely is a bit of an overstatement, so let’s just say that I needed this book more than I thought I would.

Each chapter ends with questions as a way to reinforce what was covered, but also for me, an additional learning tool as to why I respond the way I do.

This is going to be one of those keep on the shelf books that I will need to pull down from time to time to sustain the lessons learned. You will not get it all in one sitting and as you change and your situations change, we all could use a refresher on when and why to speak up and to base this on good decision making.

No comments: