Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The Dead Will Tell

Title: The Dead Will Tell
Author: Linda Castillo
Published: July 8th, 2014 by Minotar Books
Format: ARC; Hardcover Pgs 320
Genre: Police Procedural
Source: Amazon Vine
Series: Kate Burkholder #6

In the past, I have found the Linda Castillo’s books have grabbed me from the first paragraph of the first chapter and I am in a race to the end. No so with this book.

For me, three quarters of the book just laid there, very little interest and little more than words on the page. Tomasetti’s subplot involving the not guilty verdict and release of one of the men that was responsible for the deaths of his wife and daughters came across as an afterthought or filler. Whereas the main story of the Hotchstetler family and the night of brutality that they suffered, and those responsible, did not pique my interest until the very end of the book with the usual Linda Castillo twist.

I am not completely sure where this book went wrong for me, but I did not feel the usual passion that I associate with Castillo’s writing. There was no intensity, emotion, or bonding associated with one character that I have experienced in the past.

I am assuming that the whole point with both storylines is their mutual argument in that the past never dies. That somehow, somewhere, someone is always watching and waiting and revenge will be exacted. Still, something was missing and I was not engaged in either story that was told.

No comments: