Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Duty to the Dead


Title: A Duty to the Dead
Author: Charles Todd
Publisher: William Morrow
Publication Date: 2009
Format: Audio
Genre: Historical Mystery
Series: #1 Bess Crawford

I am not sure why I keep picking up books that take place during World War I, but I do. Part of me must be looking for the fascination that other find with these books, but I am just lost – I am still looking for that gem that will make it all come together for me, I just have not come across it yet. Not to say that authors like the writing team of Charles Todd do not do a wonderful job in describing the influences and the people, but for me this historical period offers no spark or appeal.

England 1916 and Bess Crawford, an army nurse, is traveling on the Britannic when it hits a mine and is sunk. Bess carries with her a message from Lt. Arthur Graham, a soldier that she met and became close to several months prior. When she is in England, she must set out to find his family, deliver a message and set things right. Little does she know that she is about to become embroiled in a family full of secrets and lies.

The Graham family is quite peculiar, brothers divided and favorites are chosen. When Arthur knew he was dying he needed to set the past right - a past that would lead Bess Crawford down a dangerous path where she had to break through old stereotypes and fight for a brother that the others had abandoned.

As I said before, this book would be very good for someone that is drawn to this timeframe. An era where people and places were much simpler – not to say that people were not evil, they just were taken at face value and evil deeds were shocking.

I do not think that this is the right series for me. So, in my own misguided way, I will continue to stumble along in this journey until something sparks my curiosity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read Maisie Dobbs for a while, but then lost interest. Thanks to your review, I'll give this series a miss.

Unknown said...

Loved this book and think that Charles Todd is a wonderful author.
Thanks for your well balanced review.
Mike

KarenJoan said...

A very nice review, Nancy.