Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Review - Long Lost

Title: Long Lost
Author: Linda Castillo
Publisher: Minotaur Books (May 7, 2013)
Format: e-book equal to approx. 50 – 60 pages
Genre: Police Procedural
Source: Amazon
Series: Kate Burkholder #4.5

I am not a fan of half books. I find that this new fangled gimmick is a either a way for an author to test the waters to see if they can bypass publishers or to keep their readers baited until they are ready to reel them in with their next book, either way, they rarely offer anything of any importance to the ongoing plotlines or character development.

That being said, Long Lost was a simple diversion while I was waiting between appointments. The plotline did not enhance or distract from the current Kate and Tomasetti storyline that the regular books have been following, it was just a side note involving a weekend away. A weekend that involved a bed and breakfast and an apparent haunting involving a missing woman that wandered away one day and was never seen again.

If you know Kate and Tomasetti, you know that they are just not the types to let a missing person case go unnoticed so they take a quick trip and check out what people remember. Ask a question or two and following a lead, they are lead down a dirt road to an answer that neither one was expecting.

As I said, this was a diversion between appointments and I actually liked how the story unfolded. Since Linda Castillo is one of my go to authors, I went against my usual response of avoiding these half books and was glad that I had spent a couple of minutes reading.

No comments: