Friday, March 1, 2013

Review - Dead and Gone

Title: Dead and Gone
Author: Charlaine Harris
Publisher: Ace Hardcover (May 5, 2009)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 312
Genre: Paranormal
Source: Library
Series: Sookie Stackhouse #9

I have always said that I liked the books that talk about the Fairies, but dang, after reading this book, I am not so sure. They can be nasty little things.

There is a lot going on in this book, the shape-shifters have decided that it is their time to come out and join the vampires in announcing their existence. When this occurs, in Merlot’s, Sookie picks up on some not so very nice thoughts of those around her. People have a tendency to surprise her and when the body of a pregnant were-panther is found nailed to a cross behind the bar, and Sookie’s brother Jason is accused, she has to go into overdrive to find the real culprits. And that leads to a stunner.

Eric and Sookie have stepped up their relationship big time leaving Quinn and Bill pretty much in the dust. That is ok, I never liked Bill. Claiming Sookie has created a potential problem and I am wondering if Eric has realized that not all of his thoughts are his own.

Sookie’s grandfather has let all heck break loose and killer fairies (I know, that made me giggle too) are now after Sookie. Books 8 and 9 really should be read back to back to get the whole fairy story, and to answer the questions surrounding the death of Sookie’s parents.

I was hoping that there would be more to the Hunter storyline, but he is only slightly mentioned, and as I have said before, I really do hope that there is more with his story.

This book is much more violent and darker than the previous books. Brutal deaths, torture and even a little bit of Eric’s backstory were a bit surprising.

I liked the turn that this book took. It appears that Sookie’s eyes are opening a bit wider and when the FBI knocks on your door wondering what your exact telepathic powers are you know that you are not just in Bon Temp anymore. People are noticing and you had better start flying under the radar.

If Niall kept his word, which I am not too sure that I believe him, he and the fairies will not be part of Sookie’s world anymore and I think I just might miss them.

No comments: