Saturday, March 19, 2011

Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

I really, really, want to believe this book, but being a natural born skeptic, I really, really, really (notice there are three really’s that time) want to believe that this is true. I want to hope that a child’s innocence is not being exploited, that a child’s recollection of heaven could be a true thing. At this date and time, there is so much cynicism that I no longer know what is true.

After a near death experience, 4-year-old Colton Burpo, the son of a rural Nebraska pastor, comes back with a tale of meeting Jesus. This is not something that he blurts out all at once, but little parts shared over an extend period of time. Each revelation shocks his parents with information that a child of his age and experience would not know.

Colton appears to never waver in his storytelling. His message is always the same and he holds true and fast as to what the son of God looks like. Shocking the whole family when another child, who also has been to heaven, paints the perfect picture. http://www.artakiane.com/gallery

I had originally heard this story one morning while flipping through the radio looking for something to listen to on my way to work. Never being a fan of the religious channels I usually just past them by, but this morning something caught my attention and I just needed to find out more about this story.

The book starts a little slow and you wonder why going to a pet store is that big of a deal, but as the chapters push on, Colton immerges into quite a normal child with an extraordinary story to tell. His experiences are told in easy to understand kid language that give the book a bit more realism and makes even a cynic like me sit up and take notice.

This book is a quick read, an easy read, so I suggest you take a chance, reach your own conclusion and walk away from it with you own opinions as to the reality of a child’s tale.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting, but I share your skepticism, Nancy. Well done.

Unknown said...

I enjoyed your review but think the premise is too farfetched for me.
Mike Draper

PS Stop over at my blog and say hi.
http://mikedraperinguilford.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

How funny, I actually heard about this book/child this morning while getting ready for work and listening to the news. It's not the right book for me though. I think I would be right with you as far as skepticism goes too.

Unknown said...

Usually not my cuppa, but this sounds quite compelling. Thanks for the recommendation!