Monday, March 7, 2011

Dead as a Doornail

Maybe I need to spread these books out a little bit more, because all of a sudden they are blurring one right into the other. After putting this one down for a couple of days, I truly couldn’t remember what it was about, I had to grab it out of the donation pile just to remind myself what the focus was.

If you have not read this series from the beginning, do not continue with this review, because there might be some spoilers. We know that Sookie is a waitress with a disability; she can read the minds of those around here, those that just happen to not be vampires. Therefore, when Alcide Herveaux asks Sookie to help read the minds of his “were” pack in hopes of helping his father become the next leader, she really has no choice. Well, of course she can do that, even if it is a strange ritual and parts of it just are not something that Sookie would ever like to know exists.

Then add in someone who is out trying to kill shape shifters and Sookie’s house is partially burned and Jason is still dealing with his own monthly difficulties and Tara is keeping vampires in her house and you have yet another week in the life of Sookie.

As I said before, maybe I need to spread these books out a bit more. They are starting to be the same story over and over with slight character changes in each installment. Skookie is a very likeable simpleminded character that always seems to get herself into one hot mess after another and needs to depend on her otherworldly friends to get her out.

I do not know what direction Charlene Harris will take these books, but the one thing that I do know, that kindly looking grandma sure has some hot blood running through her veins.

4 comments:

DuhBearsFan said...

I am kind of up and down with this series. It is engaging; the lead character is kind of intriguing. But repetition seems to me to be setting in. Anyhow, your review is just fine!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Nancy. (As I've said before, however, I can't bring myself to read anything in which the main character is named Sookie.)

Unknown said...

love this series!

Unknown said...

I'm kinda like DuhBearsFan with this series. Loved it..but the last couple books have felt a bit flat to me. Seems to be the same thing over and over and I'm ready for Sookie to get smarter and do something else. I still like them though. I'm to the point where I am all caught up so I have a year between reading books in the series and that works well..don't think I would want to read them closer together any more.