Monday, March 21, 2022

The Golden Couple

Title: The Golden Couple
Author: Greer Hendricks, Sarah Pekkanen
Published: March 8th 2022 by St. Martin's Press
Format: Kindle, Hardcover, 336 pages
Genre: Psychological Thriller
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.

First Sentence: I never know what to expect when I open my door to new clients. The preliminary phone call only reveals so much. In this case, it came from a woman who introduced herself as Marissa Bishop.

Blurb: Wealthy Washington suburbanites Marissa and Matthew Bishop seem to have it all—until Marissa is unfaithful. Beneath their veneer of perfection is a relationship riven by work and a lack of intimacy. She wants to repair things for the sake of their eight-year-old son and because she loves her husband. Enter Avery Chambers.

Avery is a therapist who lost her professional license. Still, it doesn’t stop her from counseling those in crisis, though they have to adhere to her unorthodox methods. And the Bishops are desperate.

When they glide through Avery’s door and Marissa reveals her infidelity, all three are set on a collision course. Because the biggest secrets in the room are still hidden, and it’s no longer simply a marriage that’s in danger. (GoodReads)

My Opinion: Another first author for me, and to be honest, I was putting this writing team off since overly-hyped books tend to be a letdown. I intended to read a couple of pages, say I tried, and move on to something else -- this has been my previous experiences with “you gotta read this” books.

I was amazed; The Golden Couple grabbed me from the beginning. As Avery noted, nothing about the Bishops or the people around them is straightforward. There are many names and relationships to keep straight, but the genius of this book is that they each have their distinct voice and place. Though there are many times where you wonder who is the puppet master, Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen, adeptly handle the characters until you wonder how you didn’t see it coming.

No comments: