Monday, September 8, 2014

Have a Nice Guilt Trip

Title: Have a Nice Guilt Trip
Author: Lisa Scottoline, Francesca Serritella
Published: July 8th 2014 by St. Martin's Press
Format: Hardcover, 288 pages
Genre: Essay's
Series: Reprints of their Chick Wit column, from The Sunday Inquirer's Arts&Entertainment section

My boyfriend, My boyfriend, My boyfriend – I get it Francesca, you have a boyfriend.

Not to say that Lisa does not get carried away with her dogs and her pipes, but still, the repetition of Francesca going on and on about her boyfriend was a bit off putting.

I love this series and it has become a tradition as I am taking my daughter back to college. The essay’s that are shared have mirrored parts of my life and I think, in some way, are preparing me for the future. Mother and daughter relationships are unique, we might not always see the world in the same way, but we want to do our best in handling them with love.

I cannot say that I loved one story more than another, each of Lisa’s made me laugh or cry or wonder. Maybe it is an age thing and I can relate to her experiences more. Francesca’s essay, on the other hand, did not appeal to me except for the writing on her grandmother and that was her best of the bunch. It was heartfelt and a wonderful good-bye to a woman that had been ever present.

Each year I wait for this series with both anticipation and dread. I look forward to the laughs and idiosyncrasies of life and the dread of knowing that yet again, I have to say good-bye to my daughter I’ll see you at Christmas.

No comments: