Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Don't Judge a Lizard by His Scales

Title: Don't Judge a Lizard by His Scales
Authors: Dan Dugi, Bli Marston Dugi
Illustrator: Andrea Vitali
Publisher: Dugi Group LLC (August 3, 2014)
Format: eBook; Hardcover, 19 pages
Genre: Children's
Source: Netgalley
Ages: Age Level: 2 - 8 | Grade Level: P - 2

I keep going back and forth about this book. I can understand the general question being asked - can two sworn enemies become friends? Science tells us that lizards eat flies, but what were to happen if they decided that being friends was a better idea.

What gives me the creepy factor in this book, and is the final deciding factor, is how they know each other in the first place. How does Danny the Wizard Lizard have Bli the Fly’s contact information? It is not mentioned that they are school friends or neighborhood friends and when Bli tells Danny of her mother’s concerns, Danny’s reply is “Your Mom sure does think a lot”. No, that is not right at all. Or manipulating the parent with charm and innocence when he is trying to spend more time with Bli – no that is crossing a line.

The language in this book comes across to me as if Danny is grooming Bli, and as a parent, this is the type of behavior that we really look out for and sends out those little red flag warnings.

I am glad I had read this prior to sharing it with a young mind. I would not want to inadvertently send the wrong message about listing to the pressuring of friends is more important than a parent’s concerns.

Call me overprotective and paranoid, but I do not think that this is the best book to be reading to a child when trying to present a book on making friends.

No comments: