Wednesday, April 2, 2014

I Forgot to Remember

Title: I Forgot to Remember
Author: Sue Meck
Publisher: February 4th 2014 by Simon & Schuster
Format: ARC, 288 pages
Genre: Memoir
Source: Amazon Vine

This book hit me as odd from the very beginning. How could a woman who has sever amnesia write a memoir in the first person begin prior to the head injury that caused the amnesia?

It appears that she is recapping a puzzle assembled by others and taking it as fact.

I cannot say that it is not true since memoirs are an amalgamation of stories that emphasize the good and minimize the bad – unless you are going for dramatic effect. But for me, I could not become engaged with either the book or Su Meck herself.

Being considered clumsy her whole life, Su Meck just happens to be standing under a ceiling fan in the kitchen when it comes crashing down on her and miraculously misses her infant son. The book tells of her recovery bouncing back and forth between the before and after.

Unfortunately, this book has not stuck with me. There is very little that is memorable and each chapter titled with lyrics was just peculiar.

No comments: