Saturday, February 1, 2014

Hello Hello

Title: Hello Hello
Author and Illustrator: Matthew Cordell
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion (October 30, 2012)
Format: Hardcover; pgs 32
Genre: Children’s
Ages: 2 – 6 year olds

Honestly, when I first read this book I did not get it. How could a book designed for two to six year olds teach them to put down their electronic gadgets? I had to step away and think about this for a few minutes.

Then it finally dawned on me, it was not about the child’s devices, it was about the parent’s. Now I felt really dumb because it did not come to me sooner. How many times does a child feel unimportant because their parents and siblings are too busy to acknowledge them?

A true light bulb moment there.

Lydia is bored when everyone is too busy for her, so when a door opens and a leaf blows in, a whole wide world opens up for her. This opens up a new chance for a child to educate a parent and help them to step away from their usual and see things from a new prospective.

In one “ah-ha” moment, this book went from “whatever” to “wow”. I am not sure if your child will get as much out of this book as the adult reading it, but it will be worth your time if you get out of it as much as I did.

No comments: