Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Ghoul Next Door

Title: The Ghoul Next Door
Author: Victoria Laurie
Publisher: January 7th 2014 by Signet
Format: Paperback, 352 pages
Genre: Paranormal Mystery
Series: Ghost Hunter Mystery #8

Like the main characters, three quarters of the way through the book I too was ready to pull out the index cards to make notes of what was going on. Trying to keep which killer was responsible for which victim was enough to do me in.

I had already been bewildered since this book started out less hectic than the previous books. Both M.J. and her trusty sidekick Gilley were just a little off. Thinking that I had missed something, I started the book over and this time I read the preface. Now I understood. Victoria Laurie lost a dear friend, and somehow, it left a somber note in the book.

Newly back in the states after filming their Ghoul Getter’s show, M.J., Heath and Gilley are asked by M.J.’s ex-boyfriend Steven, to help in the investigation of a haunting involving Steven’s fiancĂ©e’s brother.

This is where everything gets very confusing since there are multiple hauntings, many dead bodies, names in a closet, a reporter searching out an exclusive, visits to prisons, deceased relatives coming in to lend a hand, and Gilley going all howler monkey when he is stressed.

I swear I look forward to these books, but they frustrate the heck out of me.

You would think that after all the people that Ms Laurie thanked for helping her with this book, one of them would have stepped forward to let her know that cell phones do not work in subbasements, that police investigators would not fully accept anything that a psychic says at face value and that for the sake of her readers, cut down on some of the characters.

As I said, I do look forward to these books, Gilley is now reasonable and downright funny, the plotlines are twisty and you have to pay attention, and though you have to suspend all sense of reality, they can be very entertaining.

No comments: