Friday, September 6, 2013

Review - Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook

Title: Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook
Author: Weight Watchers
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (December 20, 2011)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 384
Genre: Cookbook

Looking for a way to add to my fall and winter menus, I picked up The WeightWatchers One Pot Cookbook. This book is broken up into multiple types of single pots – skillet, wok, saucepan, roasting pan, casserole dish, slow cooker, grill, baking pan, etc, I was drawing to the section on Dutch ovens.

I chose two recipes to try out – No-Fuss French-Style Beef Stew and the Chicken in White Wine – which is also the front cover photo.

Both recipes were very rounded in flavor but neither turned out the way the photos showed even though I followed the recipes exactly as written.

The French-Style stew came out very watery and not as dry as the photo shows. I had to use a flour and water paste to thicken it. I served it with French bread for dipping and the meal was just right for the rainy day that I had served it.

The next week, I made the Chicken in White Wine. This was excellent. Once again, it did not come out as the picture showed, but this recipe will make the perfect base for any stew. You can change up the meat and vegetables and it is still going to be perfect. I think the white wine is optional so it will be up to you if you want to use it or just increase the broth.

Looking over the remaining sections and pictures, this will be a fun cookbook to breakout over the next couple of months and see how I can add to my menus for the upcoming seasons.

I did not choose this cookbook solely for the WeightWatchers name or the PointsPlus Values that accompanies each recipe. I was looking for new healthier options and I think that this book will offer what I am looking for.

No comments: