Friday, July 26, 2013

Review - Fleet Street Murders

Title: Fleet Street Murders
Author: Charles Finch
Publisher: Minotaur Books (November 10, 2009)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 320
Genre: Historial Mystery
Source: Purchase
Series:Charles Lennox Mysteries #3

It must be a phase that I am going through since I have not had much luck with books recently.

Fleet Street Murders has multiple storylines and I found myself drawn to one more than the rest and was bothered with all the bouncing around. It is Christmas 1866, Charles Lennox and Lady Jane Grey are wanting to celebrate together but Charles is forced to leave for Stirrington where he is running for a Parliamentary seat. At the same time, there are two murders in London that seem at first blush to be unrelated, yet Charles is piecing information together that makes them all but unrelated. While all of this is going on, their best friends, Toto and McConnell are going through a personal crisis and Charles wants to be there to help them through. Charles cannot be everywhere but with the help of his butler Graham, he seems to bounce around quite well and in the end, all is right with the world.

The series is atmospheric and full of humor, but this particular book is too scattered. Two of the storylines would have sufficed, but the interweaving of the three was too distracting.

I loved the first book, was okay with the second and this one just left me with the so-so feeling. I guess once a year I will drag out a Charles Lennox just to check back in with Lady Grey, the only character worth following in this series.

No comments: