Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Chapter First Paragraph - Requiem

Title: Requiem
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins (March 5, 2013)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 432
Genre: Teen Fiction - Futuristic
Source: Purchase
Series: Delirium #3



Hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea




Chapter 1

"I've started dreaming of Portland again.

Since Alex reappeared, resurrected but also changed, twisted,like a monster from one of the ghost stories we used to tell as kids, the past has been finding its way in. It bubbles up through the cracks when I'm not paying attention, and pulls me with it's greedy fingers.

This is what they warned me about for all those years: the heavy weight in my chest, the nightmare-fragments that follow me even in the waking life.

I warned you, Aunt Carol says in my head.

We told you, Rachel says.

You should have stayed. That's Hana, reaching out across an expanse of time, through the murky-thick layers of memory, stretching a weightless hand to me as I am sinking."


Overview

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has transformed. The nascent rebellion that was underway in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight.

After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven. Pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels.

As Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain of the Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view. They live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.

3 comments:

Paulita said...

This sounds interesting. Hope you like it. Here's Mine

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I like the sound of this, but not the cover LOL enjoy Nancy and thanks for joining us.

Nise' said...

A great trilogy! Enjoy.