Friday, December 21, 2012

Review - Holiday Buzz

Title: Holiday Buzz
Author: Cleo Coyle
Publisher: Berkley (December 4, 2012)
Format: Paperback; Pgs 384
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: Coffeehouse Mysteries #12


Usually, when I read a book from the Coffee House Mysteries series, I cannot get enough coffee. As I said before, I swear they are in cahoots with my favorite independent café, but this time, I am lusting over the cookies at my local bakery.

I guess I should be glad that the writing team of Cleo Coyle changed it up, but let’s face it, there are more calories in cookies than in coffee so I cannot win either way.

The busy little baristas from the Village Blend, complete with holiday hats, are knee deep in the Great New York Cookie Swap when Clare notices that one of her crew has wandered off; taking a cold winters night stroll she discover the body of Moirin Faigan dead on the carousel. What ensues brings out both the best and the worst in people.

The NYPD are quick to point their fingers at a serial assaulter referred to as “The Christmas Stalker”, but Claire thinks there is more to it. When a second body appears and there is an attempt on Claire’s life people begin working double time to solve this. Unfortunately, she runs into a major nemesis, Detective Fletcher Endicott A.K.A Mr. DNA, that is too busy trying to write another book than to take Claire seriously. Add in two “Real Housewives”, an ex-rocker turned retirement home entertainer, a detective boyfriend only available on alternate weekends, a narcissistic hockey player and soon you will have a fun filled winter cozy full of wild antics that Lucy and Ethyl should be starring in.

If you love mixing your foodie tendencies with cozy mysteries, this is a perfect series. Just be forewarned that you will spend an inordinate amount of time drinking coffee and lusting over baked goods and mile high roast beef sandwiches.

1 comment:

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Sounds like a yummy read ;-)