Friday, December 7, 2012

Review - Casual Vacancy

Title: Casual Vacancy
Author: J.K. Rowling
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company (September 27, 2012)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 512
Genre: Fiction
Source: Library


I will be the first to admit that when a book does not hit me as either good or bad, I have a hard time writing about it. I am sorry, but this will be a very dull uninspiring review. I cannot help it, that is how the book left me.

When I first picked up this book, I did not understand what all the fuss way about. How could so many people dislike a book just because the author branched out and wrote something different? From time to time, authors need to explore other storylines. I have no problem with that – loved when Grisham writes books other than legal thrillers. However, for some to find the need to compare everything to Potter was just ludicrous.

The first hundred pages were mostly character development; I must confess that I had to do an internet search to keep them all straight. Still not understanding the dislike by many, since I like British mysteries and found this book to start out the same way, I trudged on.

Then I got to page 200’ish. Dang this story is not moving. OK, maybe it is me. Then page 300 and 400. Darn it. I had such high hopes for this book. It was not until page 400’ish of 500’ish that I actually enjoyed what was being told. Sorry, but that is too late for anyone.

Even after finishing the book, I will not say that is was horrible, just wanted more mystery or suspense I guess. Nowhere was this book billed as a mystery, but for some reason that is what I had in my mind. As I said before – it was me developing a preconceived notion as to what this book was about.

Billed as a tragicomedy, the novel is set in a suburban town called Pagford and begins with the unexpected death of Barry Fairbrother. With Barry’s death, there is an open seat on the council up for grabs. What ensues is an all-out war amongst the people of Pagford even before an election can be held for his successor.

For such a small town, this place is full of secrets and when they suddenly come to the surface in blog postings, no one is safe. Class wars and social issues are the running theme in this book. There are sections that are laugh out loud funny and other sections that are downright cringe worthy.

If you are a fan of epics, which I just might think that was designed to be, take a chance. There is definitely a love it or loath it debate surrounding this book.

As a side note, I just read this morning that BBC will be turning this book into a series. It is expected to air in Britain in 2014, but with no immediate plans to bring it to the US.

No comments: