Friday, August 17, 2012

Review - Lethal Outlook

Title: Lethal Outlook
Author: Victoria Laurie
Publisher: NAL Hardcover (July 3, 2012)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 368
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Source: Library
Series: Psychic Eye #10

When I first started writing this review, I realized how I had focused more on how miffed I was at Ms Laurie for playing the pricing game. By only publishing this book in hardcover, the cost of the Kindle release was automatically increased. I understand that an author has to be fairly compensated for their work; I can live with that, as long as authors realize that they are now forcing some of their regular purchasers into having to wait their turn at the library, where only one copy was purchased - guess we will all have to live and learn.

I do not want you to misunderstand me. I enjoyed this book, what I do not enjoy is the new world of pricing and publishing.

Recovering from her near death experience, Abby is back home in Austin and settled into her new offices and business adventures with best friend Candice. When her first client of the day walks in, Abby know that trouble is soon to follow. With very little details, Abby must reach out to the family of a dead young mother and help to solve a mystery that has far-reaching implications.

Of course, trouble does not always ride alone, so when in a moment of weakness Abby asked her sister to help plan her wedding, you can see all aspects of her life deteriorating in no time flat. With a murder or two to solve, nuptials to plan, a sister that is trying to orchestrate a weddingpalooza, a contractor trying to finish up her dream home, scorpions taking up residence, a fiancĂ© that is eyeballs deep in his own investigation and a business partner with the worst case of food poisoning ever, Abby goes into panic mode. Everything in Abby’s life is in overdrive. She has a talent and finds great pleasure in helping guide others, sometimes to her own detriment, leaving her very little personal time.

Unfortunately, this psychic gift tends to get her in more trouble than is good for any team of twelve people, let along one struggling psychic. But what is she to do? She cannot just walk away.

As I said, I did like this book and I do like this series. There were only a couple of instances where I was scratching my head. The first being – if you are recovering from a hip fracture and are using a cane to walk, how do you scramble over a fence; and two, if in the past books you relied on the light airy feeling when someone was telling the truth, why did that ability let you down now? That would have been very helpful in eliminating a few of the coterie of entwined suspects.

Once again, I am digressing into the negative. Start this series of books from the beginning. It is fun to see how Abby, Dutch and their band of brethren take on the world with a little inside knowledge.

No comments: