Tuesday, August 14, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph - The Last Policeman

Title: The Last Policeman
Author: Ben H. Winter
Publisher: Quirk Books (July 10, 2012)
Format: Trade Paperback, Pgs 288
Genre: Pre-Apocalyptic
Source: Library
Series: The Last Policeman #1 (proposed trilogy)




Hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea






Chapter 1

I’m staring at the insurance man and he’s staring at me, two cold gray eyes behind old-fashioned tortoiseshell frames, and I’m having this awful and inspiring felling, like holy moly this is real, and I don’t know if I’m ready, I really don’t.

I narrow my eyes and I steady myself and I take him in again, shift on my haunches to get a closer look. The eyes and the glasses, the weak chin and the receding hairline, the think black belt tied and tightened beneath the chin.

This is real. Is it? I don’t know.


Overview

What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?

Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.

The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job—but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week—except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares.

The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace’s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we’re confronted by hard questions way beyond “whodunit.” What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?

4 comments:

Nise' said...

Sounds like my kind of book. Great intro.

gautami tripathy said...

I would continue to read this!

Here is my Tuesday Intro post!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

didn't realize this was part of a trilogy. think it's a series I'd like to try. Hope u love it.

Unknown said...

This does sound like a book I'd like.

Thanks for an excellent review.

Mike

PS Please stop over at my blog, I'm having a giveaway for "Stranger in the Room," and think it's a book you'd like.
http://mikedraperinguilford.blogspot.com