Tuesday, August 28, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph - A Brew to a Kill

Title: A Brew to a Kill
Author: Cleo Coyle
Publisher: Berkley (August 7, 2012)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 384
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Source: Library
Series: Coffee House Mystery



Hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea




Chapter 1

“In times like these, Clare, failing to take a risk is the biggest risk of all.”

Across the cafĂ© table’s cool marble surface, Madame Dreyfus Allegro Dubois pinned me with her near-violet eyes. “Don’t you agree?”

Of course, I agree. I wanted to shout this, scream it. Risk and I were old friends, and if anyone knew that, my octogenarian employer did.

“Investing in the new coffee truck was my idea,” I reminded her between robust hits of espresso. “I know it’s a smart idea.”

“Good. Now all you must do is convince him.”


Overview

A shocking hit-and-run in front of her Village Blend coffeehouse spurs Clare Cosi into action. A divorced, single mom in her forties, Clare is also a dedicated sleuth, and she's determined to track down this ruthless driver who ran down an innocent friend and customer. In the meantime, her ex-husband Matt, the shop's globetrotting coffee buyer, sources some amazing new beans from Brazil. But he soon discovers that he's importing more than coffee, and Clare may have been the real target of that deadly driver. Can ex-husband and wife work together to solve this mystery? Or will their newest brew lead to murder?

4 comments:

Nise' said...

Sounds like a good read. Enjoy.

Harvee said...

I have one of her latest books on my shelf and mean to get to it soon.

Paulita said...

Well, I love coffee and books, so this sounds like a great combo. Here's Mine

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I stopped this series after 4 or 5, but this one sounds fun...enjoy.