Saturday, July 7, 2012

Review - Wumbers

Title: Wumbers
Author: Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Illustrator: Tom Lichtenheld
Publisher: Chronicle Books (May 30, 2012)
Format: Board Book, Pgs 40
Genre: Children's
Source: Amazon Vine
Ages: Publisher stated preschool and up, I think this should say 3rd grade and up

I love the basic idea of this book, but I just think it is for the wrong age group. Word play is fun, but for young children that are just beginning to read, substituting numbers for letters in books is a bit confusing. Gr8 and 1derful have their places in later primary books, but not in a children’s board book.

I had wondered if maybe I was over reacting, so I had two teenagers, who seem to text for a living and use creative spelling, look this book over for their opinions. They loved it for older kids and thought that it was fun trying to sound out the words, but agreed with me in that it was wrong for the younger set.

They even went on to say that maybe the author should expend more and create a graphic type novel designed for preteens using this concept. That was actually a good idea.

Not the right book for new readers, but perfect for those who conquered primary school reading proficiency.

No comments: