Tuesday, July 24, 2012

First Chapter First Paragraph - The Other Woman's House

Title: The Other Woman's House
Author: Sophie Hannah
Publisher: Penguin Books (June 26, 2012)
Format: Softcover; Pgs 464
Genre: Suspense
Source: Library
Series: Spilling CID #6
Note: Published as Lasting Damage in the UK



Hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea






Chapter 1

I’m going to be killed because of a family called the Gilpatricks.

There are four of them: mother, father, son and daughter. Elise, Donal, Riordan and Tilly. Kit tells me their first names, as if I’m keen to dispense with the formalities and get to know them better, when all I want is to run screaming from the room. Riordan’s seven, he says. Tilly’s five.

Shut up, I want to yell in his face, but I’m too scared to open my mouth. It’s as if someone’s clamped and locked it; no more words will come out, not ever.

This is it. This is where and how and when and why I’m going to die. At least I understand the why, finally.


Overview

It's past midnight, but Connie Bowskill can't sleep. To pass the time, she logs on to a real estate website in search of a particular house, one she is obsessed with for reasons she's too scared to even admit to herself. As she clicks through the virtual tour, she comes across a scene from a nightmare: a woman lying facedown on the living room floor in a pool of blood. But when she returns to show her husband, there is no body, no blood—just a perfectly ordinary room.

4 comments:

DCMetroreader said...

This is an intense opener!

Nise' said...

Wow, the first sentence has me hooked!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I love the opener! I have this one and was wondering if you must read them in order?

Thanks for joining in this week Nancy

stepfordmomto2@yahoo.com said...

I have not read them in order, but the story is holding without me feeling that I have missed anything.