Saturday, July 28, 2012

Review - The Other Woman's House


Title: The Other Woman's House
Author: Sophie Hannah
Publisher: Penguin Books (June 26, 2012)
Format: Softcover; Pgs 464
Genre: Suspense
Source: Library
Series: Spilling CID #6
Note: Published as Lasting Damage in the UK

I do not know what happened, I started out loving this book, the suspense factor was high and then by page 300 I was wondering if this book was ever going to end. By the time I reached page 350, I just closed the book and I had no interest in even reading the last chapter to see how it all worked out.

It is the middle of the night and Connie Bowskill cannot sleep, she doe not want to bother her husband so she slips out of their room and heads to the computer. Clicking onto a realtor site, Connie sees the unbelievable. While watching a virtual tour, she spots a dead woman laying face down on beige carpet with a pool of blood blooming out from the middle of her body.

Unfortunately, for her, this is not just any house; she is convinced that this is the home of the woman that her husband Kit has been having an affair with. This is the address that has been programmed into the SatNav system in her husband’s car marked “home”.

Running to get her husband, Kit sits down at the computer and as the pictures circle around to the living room again, there is no woman on the screen. The room is there, the beige carpet is there, but there is no woman, no blood. Is his wife hallucinating, is she having another break like she had years ago. Could there possibly be some explanation to what she believes that she has seen?

There are multiple storylines going on and after awhile my brain just gave up. Too long, too repetitive, too drawn out and as I said, I just got to the point where I could no longer stand picking up the book.

I have tried Sophie Hannah in the past, but was hoping that this time would be different. That was not to be. Ms Hannah is just not the right author for me.

No comments: