Friday, June 15, 2012

Review - Breaking Dawn

Title: Breaking Dawn
Authors: Stephenie Meyer
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers; 1st edition (August 2, 2008)
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Young Adult
Source: Purchase
Ages 14 and Up
Series: Breaking Dawn #4

This book definitely falls into the “when will it ever end” category. Half of words could have been taken out and the storyline would have held.

I do have a question for Ms. Meyer – did you have to replace the S-N-A-R-L keys on your keyboard? If I had to ready the word snarl one more time I think I would have erupted into a tantrum of my own. Get a thesaurus and expand the reader’s vocabulary.

This never-ending book begins with the wedding (this book has been out so long that anyone who was interested already knows this part or saw the movie) and continues with the traumas and dramas of a mortal girl in love with a vampire, but is the recipient of unrequited love of a shape-shifting werewolf.

After you get past the parts where the vampire does not need to breath under water and later she can hear him breathing, you have to settle down and lower your expectations to an overwrought new mommy vampire that is trying to save the vampire world and protect a not quite immortal child.

There were hopes for this book when the middle third was told in Jacobs’s voice, but that glimmer of optimism quickly faded when Bella’s voice took over again.

I understand that my teen / young adult years were decades ago, but come on, I can stretch my imagination like the rest of them – until this book. Bella is an annoying character that seems to have no awareness, Edward, who went from wanting to possess her in the first couple of books, turned into a wishy –washy weakling, Charlie has no problem accepting of his daughter’s turning and Jacob seems to have taken on a completely new persona.

Why did I finish the book, actually the whole series, because I had hope. I had hoped that this distraught main character would somehow pull the rabbit out of the hat and mature into a worthwhile character. Guess I set my expectation too high.

No comments: