Sunday, June 10, 2012

At The Movies - The Answer Man




Jeff Daniels ... Arlen Faber
Lauren Graham ... Elizabeth
Lou Taylor Pucci ... Kris Lucas

This movie has been sitting on my shelf for over two months. I think initially, I was turned off because of the whole Indie thing. Independent movies never hit the right cord with me so on an “I am not leaving the house no matter what” Sunday, I popped it in.

This movie has been sitting on my shelf for over two months. I think initially, I was turned off because of the whole Indie thing. Independent movies never hit the right cord with me so on an “I am not leaving the house no matter what” Sunday, I popped it in.

I loved this movie.

There I said it; I actually loved an Independent Film.

Jeff Daniels plays a foul-mouthed spiritual author who took over 10% of the G-O-D market by writing a book on the conversation that he had with the Almighty. Because of the fame and the zealots, he has lived a life of isolation. He has never spoken publically about his book; he has never opened himself up in that way. His publicist hates him, he hides action figures in a cabinet and is paranoid about anyone touching his piano. That is until he is in excruciating back pain and literally crawls into the office of a chiropractor and his world is opened up in un-expectant ways.

I would hate to say that Lauren Graham and Lou Taylor Pucci are the supporting cast because they each hold their own and then some to Jeff Daniels. Each storyline -- of a single mother starting out on her own and a bookstore owner fresh out of rehab dealing with an alcoholic father – hold the same fascination as the reclusive author. Each person is searching for answers in a world that only offers more questions and challenges.

This movie is very funny, very over the top in language and very sincere in the message of needing people to help us over our hurtles. In a way, we all need a Jeff Daniels / Arlen Faber in our lives -a man that does not have all the answers but sure knows how to give good insight when it is needed.

No comments: