Monday, September 21, 2026

Ideal Life

Title: Ideal Life
Author: Evelyn Skye
Published: August 18, 2026 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books
Format: Kindle, 288 Pages
Genre: Time Travel

Blurb: What if you could rewind the last 24 hours and perfect your life?

Talia Morgan has built her dream: a neuroscience startup poised for a $100 million acquisition that will validate years of relentless work to make the world better through technology. But when a glitch in her app leads to catastrophe, everything she’s worked for crumbles in a single night.

Then Talia wakes up with a mysterious watch that lets her rewind the last twenty-four hours. Suddenly, she can prevent the glitch, ace that crucial meeting, and savor perfect Sunday afternoons with Sam, her brilliant best friend who’s quietly loved her for nearly two decades. The watch feels like the ultimate optimization tool, a way to debug her life until every moment is flawless.

But Talia’s addiction to rewriting her past comes at a devastating cost. Each rewind pulls her further from the people she loves most: Sam, who watches helplessly as she disappears into endless cycles of perfection; Libby, her globe-trotting sister who needs support that Talia is too distracted to give; and most dangerously, from her own true, authentic self.

When Talia discovers a conspiracy to turn her life’s work into a tool for mass manipulation, she faces an impossible choice: use the watch to cheat her way to stopping it, or accept that the messy, imperfect version of her life might be the only one worth living.

My Opinion: You know that moment when you finish a book, sit back, and think, Huh… I liked that way more than everyone else seems to? That was me with Idea Life. This is why I should never read reviews. While other readers were lukewarm, I’m over here nodding along, occasionally misty eyed, and fully invested.

The premise leans a little YA, sure, but the characters themselves are adults, which creates this interesting tonal blend. It might throw some readers off, but for me, it was unexpected but charming.

The plot jumps into the main action early, which is usually my jam, but here I found myself wishing for just a bit more build up, a little more grounding before the watch appears out of nowhere. And honestly, do we really know how it showed up? By the end, there are still questions lingering, the kind that make you tilt your head and go, “Wait… but what about…?” Not in a frustrating way, more in a hmm, I wish I could speak with the author.

There’s repetition, but the premise almost demands it, so even when it edges toward “okay, I get it,” it still makes sense for what the story is trying to do.

What kept me hooked were the little ticklers woven throughout, making you wonder who’s trustworthy, who’s hiding something, and how on earth these characters will navigate their way to a happily ever after. It’s a quick, easy read, but not a shallow one.

Part of why I picked this up at all was Evelyn Skye herself. I first found her through The Crown’s Game series, then fell head over heels for The Incredible Kindness of Paper, a book that left such a lasting impression that grabbing Idea Life felt like a no brainer. She even gives a nod to Paper here, but it made me smile remembering how much I liked that book.

And yes, I connected with her again. There might have been a tear or two. Definitely an exhale. And this is absolutely a book I’ll end up discussing with people in that “what if” kind of way that lingers long after you close the cover.

No comments: