Thursday, August 20, 2026

Kickbacks, Kayaks, & Kidnapping

Title: Kickbacks, Kayaks, & Kidnapping
Author: Tonya Kappes
Published: August 29, 2020 by Tonya Kappes Books
Format: Audiobook, 198 Pages
Genre: Amateur Sleuth
Series: Camper & Criminals #12

Blurb: Deep in the heart of the Daniel Boone National Forest, Mae West has spent the last few years bringing the rundown Happy Trails Campground and the small southern and cozy town of Normal, Kentucky back to a thriving economic community.

Mae's efforts haven't gone unnoticed. Not only is Happy Trails Campground in the running to be named Campground Hospitality of the Daniel Boone National Park, but she landed the coveted Paddle Fest kayak competition that secures the winner a spot on the Olympic team.

When champion and Olympian kayaker Bryce Anderson turns over in his kayak dead...there's more than paddling going on and his death has been ruled a homicide. News of Bryce's death spreads fast and Happy Trails becomes the center of bad publicity.

My Opinion: Whenever I return to Tonya Kappas’s A Camper & Criminals Cozy series, I remember why it’s my go-to comfort listen. It’s not just background noise, but more like spending time with old friends. Once you know the characters, you can play the audiobook while cleaning or doing other things, and it still feels like you’re in a familiar world.

That’s why I come back to this series when I can’t get into other books. It works like a reading palate cleanser. I pick a title, listen to Johanna Parker’s relaxed southern accent, and soon I feel grounded and ready to try other genres again.

Now, this installment didn’t hit me quite the same way as earlier books. By the end, I realized the story had been meandering along with the characters sort of… wandering. Then suddenly, poof, everything wrapped up quickly, almost like the author glanced at the clock and said, “Alright, let’s tie this up and move on.”

One thing I’ve noticed, and appreciate, is that you don’t need to start at book one. Kappas sprinkles just enough backstory into each installment that you can jump in wherever you like without feeling lost. Maybe later books will shift that, but for now, it’s refreshingly low commitment.

As for the format, I’m sticking with audio. Some readers have pointed out issues with the self published print versions, and honestly, Parker’s narration smooths over any bumps. She keeps the tone light and friendly, even if I do have to nudge the speed up to compensate for her slow-as-molasses Southern cadence.

In the end, Kickbacks, Kayaks, and Kidnapping may not be the strongest entry, but it still delivers that familiar, cozy vibe I rely on this series for.

No comments: