Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Heron's Cry

Title: The Heron's Cry
Author: Ann Cleeves
Published: September 7th 2021 by Minotaur Books
Format: Kindle, Hardcover, 400 pages
Genre: Detective Mystery
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
Series: Two Rivers #2

First Sentence: Jen had drunk too much. They were in Cynthis Prior’s garden, lounging on the grass, and it was just getting dark.

From the Publisher: North Devon is enjoying a rare hot summer with tourists flocking to its coastline. Detective Matthew Venn is called out to a rural crime scene at the home of a group of artists. What he finds is an elaborately staged murder--Dr Nigel Yeo has been fatally stabbed with a shard of one of his glassblower daughter's broken vases.

Dr. Yeo seems an unlikely murder victim. He's a good man, a public servant, beloved by his daughter. Matthew is unnerved, though, to find that she is a close friend of Jonathan, his husband.

Then another body is found--killed in a similar way. Matthew soon finds himself treading carefully through the lies that fester at the heart of his community and a case that is dangerously close to home. (Macmillan)

My Opinion: I was a bit apprehensive when I began this book. The first in the series, A Long Call, left me feeling I had missed something, or the author thought I knew more than I did, or I wasn’t smart enough to keep up with Matthew Venn. But this second book had me from the first page, and I was right in the mess of things with Matthew and his team.

I am sure there were subtle points I missed along the way, but with Ann Cleeves’ genius with tempo and plotting, I stayed on board for the ride she takes her readers on. A ride, which should not be missed.

No comments: