Monday, May 29, 2017

A Stranger in Mayfair

Title: A Stranger in Mayfair
Author: Charles Finch
Published: November 9th 2010 by Minotaur Books
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages
Genre: Historical Mystery
Series: Charles Lennox #4

I know that people love this book, but for some reason, I just could not connect. The humor was there and the characters were just as intriguing as ever, yet, for me, something was missing.

Charles Lenox and Lady Jane Grey are now married and have returned from their honeymoon. Charles is about to take his seat in parliament when a friend, Ludovic Starling, contacts him in regards to the murder of the son of one of Starlings’ former housekeepers.

Charles loves his sleuthing, but now with his position in parliament and having to decide what to do with an extra butler in their combined households; Charles is drawn in too many directions. With the help of Graham as his newly installed secretary and John Dallington as his sleuthing buddy, all seems on the right track until Toto, a close friend of Lady Jane’s has a child and the idea of Charles and Lady Jane adding to their family keep the two lovebirds in a constant state of unease.

As I said, not my favorite. I think what bothered me the most was Charles Lennox’s wishy-washy attitude towards his wife and marriage. The “oh darling, whatever you want is perfectly fine with me”, started to grate on me. I do hope that in further books, Charles will grow a backbone and he and Jane can be the dynamic duo that I remember from previous books.

No comments: