Monday, May 8, 2017

16th Seduction

Title: 16th Seduction
Author: James Patterson and Maxine Paetro****
Published: May 1st 2017 by Little, Brown and Company
Format: Hardcover, 384 pages
Genre: Police Procedural
Series: Women's Murder Club #16

Half way through the book, the reader gets the feeling that the case is all tied up and you begin to wonder if the author confused this book with his Bookshots novellas only to have it take off in a different direction to fill in in the next hundred or so pages, then everything is tied up with a pretty bow in a rushed ending that left questions. Sometimes I wonder about this author, but I have invested this much time in the Women’s Murder Club series that I find myself reading each new installment no matter my opinion of the last. The best I can say, Lindsay is not the whining mess that she was in the last book.

As a quick summary, you have a bomber heading to an airport doing the work of a TLA (three letter acronym) group, a bomb going off at a science center with an equally ridiculous name - that was witnessed by Lindsay and Joe while they are having a “let’s learn to trust each other again dinner”, a faulty confession, devastating injuries that quickly heal in a manner that are nothing short of miraculous. Then to fill out the book, a serial killer is making his way around San Francisco. There is a court trial that is both rushed and ridiculous since no district attorney would take it on with so little evidence. Liars. Sociopaths. The usual cast of characters.

After trudging through this monotonous book, I do have to say that I was impressed with Cindy finally standing up to Lindsay with her “you’re not the boss of me speech”, it was a long time coming and for me, the only bright spot of the book.

If you are looking for a good laugh and an honest recap, I suggest that you track down the digested version of 16th Seduction written by John Crace at the Guardian, he nailed this book.

No comments: