Monday, July 11, 2016

I've Got Sand In All The Wrong Places

Title: I've Got Sand In All The Wrong Places
Author: Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella
Expected Publication: July 12th 2016 by St. Martin's Press
Format: eBook, Hardcover, 320 pages
Genre: Essay
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
This was a bittersweet read for me. The last couple of books I listened to while driving my daughter back to college. We would laugh and look at each other and laugh some more. This year, showing her independence, she did not come home for the summer and I spent my time laughing and getting misty all on my own. I will not say that Lisa and I have shared all of the same experiences, but raising a daughter has lead us down a couple of the same paths.

I love the essays, the insights into a relatively normal life. I do tend to roll my eyes when Lisa talks about money concerns and when Francesca laments her boyfriend issues and that she is only twenty-nine and not thirty. Oh, to have those problems.

Thank you Lisa for pointing out that being an empty nester, and enjoying it, is not a bad thing. Sometimes I feel a bit guilty about enjoying my free “me” time and it is nice to know that others feel the same way about it as I do.

Francesca, with the trauma that you have gone through, you really should consider being a victim support advocate. You have a story to tell and can relate to the distress that others are going through. “Courage does not exist without fear”.

Thank you to this writing team for bringing hilarity and sentiment to everyday situations. I look forward to many more summers of your adventures.

No comments: