Friday, June 17, 2016

I Let You Go

Title: I Let You Go
Author: Clare Mackintosh
Published: May 3rd 2016 by Berkley
Format: ebook, Hardcover, 369 pages
Genre: Suspense
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing / Penguin Group (USA) for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.

I have always disliked how some people call books rollercoaster rides. So, when I found myself comparing this book to a rollercoaster I had to laugh at my own hypocrisy. Literally, for the first half of this book you are on the long uphill journey wondering when you are ever going to reach the peak and then BOOM, you are plunging down into the first turn, that though you are expecting it, will still hit you by surprise.

I do not know how I can tell you about this story without giving away all the glorious details. It is a story within a story, the characters are not who you think they are. They are interrelated in ways that you did not expect or for that matter see coming. I cannot say that you will love any one character, but there are definitely some that you will hate less than others.

When a character says that prison is preferable to the life that they are currently leading you cannot but wonder how much mental and physical torment a person can take. Repeatedly, you will find yourself saying “oh”. It is gutting, it is brutal, and sections are written with such honesty that you feel the emotions dripping from the pages. You will find yourself sneaking in reading time at work and at others times reading with your hand over your mouth so as to not gasp out loud.

When I started this book I could not understand all the hype, by the end, I could not understand why more were not talking about it. The title has a multitude of meanings and though this book might lose many readers with the slow start, those that remain, will have a book that stays with them for a long time.

No comments: