Sunday, February 21, 2016

The Witches of Cambridge

Title: The Witches of Cambridge
Author: Menna van Praag
Published: February 9th 2016 by Ballantine Books
Format: ebook, Paperback, 320 pages
Genre: Magical Realism
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of thisbook.

I am not a fan of romances so when I say that this book is magical, I do not want you to jump to that conclusion. There is love and loss, but what stands out in this book is hope and healing. Magical realism can be a slippery slope for some authors but Menna van Praag binds a spell around her readers in a way that does not feel overly done or sappy sweet.

Centered on a group that has their own abilities - Amandine, the president of the Cambridge University Society of Literature and Witchcraft has the gift of extraordinary empathy, Noa can always see the truth though she considers this more of curse, Cosima can bake spells into her pastries, Kat can cast regular spells, George has a few secrets of his own and Heloise can still communicate with her recently deceased husband. Together, they have formed a family of sorts that comes together to help each out in a special way. A way that needs love, faith and a little magic to help them all to heal.

I look forward to new releases by Ms. van Praag she has a way of writing that makes me fall into her books and become totally immersed in the story that is being told. As I said, magical realism is not my usual genre of choice, but I love this author. There is something warm and inviting that makes you fall in love with each and every character.

No comments: