Thursday, April 16, 2015

NYPD Red 3

Title: NYPD Red 3
Author: James Patterson and Marshall Karp
Published: March 16th 2015 by Little, Brown & Company
Format: March 16th 2015 by Little, Brown & Company
Genre: Police Procedural
Series: NYPD Red

I tend to have a love hate relationship with James Patterson. I am finding that I am enjoying a couple of his series, but at the same time, I am embarrassed if anyone sees me reading one. I do not think that I am a book snob since I read a variety of books, but apparently, I am.

NYPD Red is a unique division of the New York Police Department that handles only high profile cases involving the wealthy and influential.

Zach Jordan and Kylie MacDonald have a past of their own, they had a hot and heavy month long romance during their academy training but both have moved on. Occasionally they rub open the scab and old feelings surface. More on Zach’s side than Kylie’s, but Kylie knows how to play this fiddle and she tends to play Zach when it suits her. She may be beautiful and intelligent, but underneath, I am not sure if I like her and I just wonder when she will go a bit too far with both her career and her partnership with Zach.

Now they are detectives and have been assigned to the disappearance of Hunter Alden, III. Jordan and MacDonald will tell you that the wealthy are their own version of odd, but when Hunter Alden, Jr., the father of Trip (H.A. III), seems reluctant to find his own son and derails the investigation at every turn, the two detectives are even more determined to solve this case.

Of course, it would not be a Patterson if there were not a conspiracy of some sort. However, what is behind the reasoning for the father’s reluctance is disgusting. Telling your son that it would be easier to make another child than make another billion dollars even had my skin crawling. Granted, the son is not without fault, but even though Trip’s plan went amuck, his intentions to expose his father had merit.

From time to time, Patterson and his co-authors push the envelope, but what is behind this is still a little too raw for some people. There is no pretty little bow at the end of this book and many readers will not like the conclusion, but it is what it is. Zach and Kylie must come to terms with what they cannot change if it can help more in the future.

No comments: