Friday, August 30, 2013

Review - Requiem


Title: Requiem
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher: HarperCollins (March 5, 2013)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 432
Genre: Young Adult
Series: Delirum #3 (#6 if you count the bonus books)

When I read the Delirium series, all I could think about was the Uglies series by Westerfeld, there are just too many plot similarities for me to keep them separate.

I loved Delirium, Pandemonium was only so-so and by the third book, I actually used it to help me fall asleep at night. Not a great recommendation, but that is the truth.

I know that the Lena and Alex plot was the main storyline, but I found them to be boring. Since I am far from being a teen, I suppose that I am more jaded than the teens that this book was written for, but the silly dance that these two did around each other was annoying.

Now Hana on the other hand, I loved her. This was the only part of the book that I paid attention to. She is stuck in a “safe” relationship with the mayor, but you see cracks. Hana may not be one hundred percent behind the resistance, but what she sees from the inside would make anyone wonder.

Told in a back and forth style, you see how the two young friends have grown. They are no longer the girls that would jog around town together. They each have their grown up roles to play.

This is one of those books that you will either love or hate. There seems to be no middle ground. Maybe it is an age thing; maybe it is a “been there done that” thing. I am still not sure. If I had to do it over again, I would have stuck with Uglies and never picked up the Delirium series. I know that is harsh, but to me, one is so much better than the other.

No comments: