Friday, August 9, 2013

Review - Deadly Forecast


Title: Deadly Forecast
Author: Victoria Laurie
Publisher: NAL Hardcover (July 2, 2013
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 384
Genre: Supernatural Mystery
Source: Library
Series:Psychic Eye #11

Victoria Laurie writes two series that I read - Psychic Eye and Ghost Hunters, and from time to time when I think back on a book, I cannot differentiate which character it is. Is it MJ Holiday from Ghost Hunters or is it Abby Cooper from Psychic Eye. When I picked up this book and realized that both MJ and Abby would be sharing semi-equal billing, I thought I was going to be in trouble. How would I ever keep them separate?

I must commend Ms Laurie, I had no problem keeping the two straight, though MJ was a secondary character, her voice remained completely separate from Abby and the flow, though back and forth from chapter to chapter, remained clear and easy to follow.

Deadly Forecast, number eleven in the Psychic Eye series, begins with Abby and Dutch only two weeks away from their planned wedding day. Abby is still recovering from her hip injury and with the help of Fast Freddie, the name she has given her cane, she is determined to be able to walk down the aisle unassisted.

Abby is still working as a consultant to the FBI, but has been getting tingling feeling and resists getting involved in the latest bombing case. When a second bomb, strapped to a woman, goes off Abby’s senses tell her that Dutch is in danger and reluctantly she agrees to help.

As if human bombs are not bad enough, Abby’s sister Cat is turning into the wedding planner from heck. Cupids in trees, swans floating in ponds, unflattering dresses, butterflies and stallions. Abby’s dreams of a simple wedding are anything but a reality. She needs a break or an exit strategy, but being the killer’s next victim was not what she had in mind.

I found some sections of the book to be a little long and drawn out, but over all, the combination of Abby’s skills and MJ’s crew, worked well. MJ’s sidekick Gilly was not as overbearing as he has been in previous books and that is a good thing. All the usual characters make their appearances, the swearing humor became creative and once again, I have to applaud Ms Laurie for keeping the voices of two strong characters separate but allowing both to ring true to their individual series.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those are some interesting picks! I've never heard of them, so thanks for putting them on my radar ;)

Stop by my WoW