Saturday, January 5, 2013

Review - If You Give A Dog A Donut

Title: If You Give a Dog A Donut
Author: Laura Numeroff
Illustrator: Felicia Bond
Publisher: Balzer + Bray (October 4, 2011)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 32
Genre: Children’s
Source: Library
Ages: 4 and up

What the “If You Give A…” books lack in artistic flare, they sure do make up for in fun and giggles.

Years ago, I read and read and reread some more 'If you Give a Pig a Pancake' and I swear I can repeat it verbatim to this day if you ask. It is as memorable to me as any Dr. Seuss out there. OK, maybe not Green Eggs and Ham, but I think you get the point that I am trying to make.

I love these books. They make excellent beginning readers for your young ones.

You just do not know what you are in for when you give a dog a donut, he will need apple juice to go with it, and then he will want to pick the apples, throw the apples, and play and play, and just wear out a young boy. That is ok, the adventures that a boy and his dog can get into will keep your young readers turning the pages and giggling and acting out what they have read.

Laura Numeroff and Felicia Bond create circular stories that bring wonderful characters and limericks to your child that will resonate with them for years. Take your time, collect all the “If You Give Books” and share some wonderful memories with your child.

No comments: